Posts for tag: Acne
Dealing with breakouts? Our dermatologists can help!
When it comes to treating acne, it’s easy to think you’re helping the issue when really you could be making it worse. This is why it’s a good idea to turn to our Bexley, OH, dermatologists, Dr. Matthew Zirwas and Dr. Jill Fichtel, if you are finding that at-home care isn’t reducing your acne symptoms.
Here are some simple lifestyle modifications you can try to improve the health of your skin,
- Be patient and allow a new acne product time to work. Even over-the-counter cleansers and acne treatments can take up to 12 weeks for the full effect. Before you decide to switch to a new product, give the one you are currently using about 12 weeks before deciding whether or not it’s actually working.
- Avoid using too many acne-fighting products at once. Too much of a good thing could actually be a bad thing when it comes to caring for your acne-prone skin. Furthermore, some of these products can dry out skin and cause irritation, so using too many of these products could actually make acne worse.
- Be gentle with your skin. Scrubbing your skin won’t make the acne better; it will only make it worse. Look for gentle cleansers and make sure to thoroughly rinse these cleansers off your skin to reduce the risk of irritation. Acne isn’t the result of dirt, so no amount of scrubbing is actually going to reduce your breakouts.
- Do not pop your pimples, no matter how tempted you may feel to do so. While our Bexley, OH, skin doctors have the proper techniques and tools to be able to safely extract a pimple without causing scarring, you do not. Picking and prodding acne will only make it worse and may lead to a permanent scar.
When to Turn to a Dermatologist
It’s important to recognize when it’s time to see a professional about your acne problems. If your acne is severe, painful, affecting your quality of life or isn’t responding to at-home treatments, it’s time to turn to us for an evaluation. We offer many ways to combat your acne symptoms, from antibiotics and oral contraceptives to laser therapy and chemical peels. The type of treatments we recommend will be based on the cause of your acne.
If you are battling acne in Bexley, OH, and over-the-counter medications and cleansers aren’t helping, it’s time to get the proper skin care you need for clearer skin. Call Bexley Dermatology today at (614) 947-1716 to schedule a consultation with us!
How your dermatologists in Bexley, Ohio can help with acne
Acne doesn’t discriminate, affecting both teens and adults, causing unsightly, painful blemishes. The blemishes can appear on your face and body, affecting your self-esteem and self-confidence. It’s time to say goodbye to acne and hello to effective acne treatment from your dermatologist. Dr. Matthew Zirwas and Dr. Jill Fichtel at Bexley Dermatology in Bexley, Ohio want to share the facts about acne.
There are some things you can do that will help to prevent acne, including:
- Exercising, because sweating helps eliminate toxins from your skin and increases blood flow
- Avoiding greasy, fatty foods, dairy, and carbonated soda, in favor of vegetables and fruits
- Drinking at least 8 glasses of water every day to flush out toxins and keep your skin hydrated
- Avoiding makeup that clogs your pores, in favor of non-comedogenic products without oils
Acne erupts on your skin in many different ways. It can appear as:
- Whiteheads or blackheads
- Nodules or cysts
- Pustules or papules
You may be waiting around, hoping for your acne to go away by itself. This may be a mistake because if acne goes untreated, it can have permanent effects including dark spots and scarring. It’s a much better idea to seek out treatment from an expert, your dermatologist.
Professional acne treatment comes in several different forms, depending on the severity of your acne:
- For mild acne, your dermatologist may recommend products containing benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid to unblock your pores and eliminate small blemishes.
- For moderate to severe cases of acne, your dermatologist may recommend several treatments which can include:
- Oral and topical antibiotics to clear up any underlying bacterial infection causing or contributing to your acne
- Tretinoin medications to clear blocked pores and get rid of blackheads and whiteheads
- Extraction treatment to remove blackheads and whiteheads completely
Acne can also be caused by hormonal fluctuations during puberty, perimenopause, or menopause. Your dermatologist will suggest specific treatments for hormone-related acne.
If you suffer from acne breakouts, get some relief from your dermatologist. Just pick up the phone and call Dr. Matthew Zirwas and Dr. Jill Fichtel at Bexley Dermatology in Bexley, Ohio. Get rid of your acne by calling today!