How your dermatologists in Bexley, Ohio can help with acne
Acne doesn’t discriminate, affecting both teens and adults, causing unsightly, painful blemishes. The blemishes can appear on your face and body, affecting your self-esteem and self-confidence. It’s time to say goodbye to acne and hello to effective acne treatment from your dermatologist. Dr. Matthew Zirwas and Dr. Jill Fichtel at Bexley Dermatology in Bexley, Ohio want to share the facts about acne.
There are some things you can do that will help to prevent acne, including:
- Exercising, because sweating helps eliminate toxins from your skin and increases blood flow
- Avoiding greasy, fatty foods, dairy, and carbonated soda, in favor of vegetables and fruits
- Drinking at least 8 glasses of water every day to flush out toxins and keep your skin hydrated
- Avoiding makeup that clogs your pores, in favor of non-comedogenic products without oils
Acne erupts on your skin in many different ways. It can appear as:
- Whiteheads or blackheads
- Nodules or cysts
- Pustules or papules
You may be waiting around, hoping for your acne to go away by itself. This may be a mistake because if acne goes untreated, it can have permanent effects including dark spots and scarring. It’s a much better idea to seek out treatment from an expert, your dermatologist.
Professional acne treatment comes in several different forms, depending on the severity of your acne:
- For mild acne, your dermatologist may recommend products containing benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid to unblock your pores and eliminate small blemishes.
- For moderate to severe cases of acne, your dermatologist may recommend several treatments which can include:
- Oral and topical antibiotics to clear up any underlying bacterial infection causing or contributing to your acne
- Tretinoin medications to clear blocked pores and get rid of blackheads and whiteheads
- Extraction treatment to remove blackheads and whiteheads completely
Acne can also be caused by hormonal fluctuations during puberty, perimenopause, or menopause. Your dermatologist will suggest specific treatments for hormone-related acne.
If you suffer from acne breakouts, get some relief from your dermatologist. Just pick up the phone and call Dr. Matthew Zirwas and Dr. Jill Fichtel at Bexley Dermatology in Bexley, Ohio. Get rid of your acne by calling today!