Posts for category: Acne
Dealing with breakouts? Our dermatologists can help!
When it comes to treating acne, it’s easy to think you’re helping the issue when really you could be making it worse. This is why it’s a good idea to turn to our Bexley, OH, dermatologists, Dr. Matthew Zirwas and Dr. Jill Fichtel, if you are finding that at-home care isn’t reducing your acne symptoms.
Here are some simple lifestyle modifications you can try to improve the health of your skin,
- Be patient and allow a new acne product time to work. Even over-the-counter cleansers and acne treatments can take up to 12 weeks for the full effect. Before you decide to switch to a new product, give the one you are currently using about 12 weeks before deciding whether or not it’s actually working.
- Avoid using too many acne-fighting products at once. Too much of a good thing could actually be a bad thing when it comes to caring for your acne-prone skin. Furthermore, some of these products can dry out skin and cause irritation, so using too many of these products could actually make acne worse.
- Be gentle with your skin. Scrubbing your skin won’t make the acne better; it will only make it worse. Look for gentle cleansers and make sure to thoroughly rinse these cleansers off your skin to reduce the risk of irritation. Acne isn’t the result of dirt, so no amount of scrubbing is actually going to reduce your breakouts.
- Do not pop your pimples, no matter how tempted you may feel to do so. While our Bexley, OH, skin doctors have the proper techniques and tools to be able to safely extract a pimple without causing scarring, you do not. Picking and prodding acne will only make it worse and may lead to a permanent scar.
When to Turn to a Dermatologist
It’s important to recognize when it’s time to see a professional about your acne problems. If your acne is severe, painful, affecting your quality of life or isn’t responding to at-home treatments, it’s time to turn to us for an evaluation. We offer many ways to combat your acne symptoms, from antibiotics and oral contraceptives to laser therapy and chemical peels. The type of treatments we recommend will be based on the cause of your acne.
If you are battling acne in Bexley, OH, and over-the-counter medications and cleansers aren’t helping, it’s time to get the proper skin care you need for clearer skin. Call Bexley Dermatology today at (614) 947-1716 to schedule a consultation with us!
How your dermatologists in Bexley, Ohio can help with acne
Acne doesn’t discriminate, affecting both teens and adults, causing unsightly, painful blemishes. The blemishes can appear on your face and body, affecting your self-esteem and self-confidence. It’s time to say goodbye to acne and hello to effective acne treatment from your dermatologist. Dr. Matthew Zirwas and Dr. Jill Fichtel at Bexley Dermatology in Bexley, Ohio want to share the facts about acne.
There are some things you can do that will help to prevent acne, including:
- Exercising, because sweating helps eliminate toxins from your skin and increases blood flow
- Avoiding greasy, fatty foods, dairy, and carbonated soda, in favor of vegetables and fruits
- Drinking at least 8 glasses of water every day to flush out toxins and keep your skin hydrated
- Avoiding makeup that clogs your pores, in favor of non-comedogenic products without oils
Acne erupts on your skin in many different ways. It can appear as:
- Whiteheads or blackheads
- Nodules or cysts
- Pustules or papules
You may be waiting around, hoping for your acne to go away by itself. This may be a mistake because if acne goes untreated, it can have permanent effects including dark spots and scarring. It’s a much better idea to seek out treatment from an expert, your dermatologist.
Professional acne treatment comes in several different forms, depending on the severity of your acne:
- For mild acne, your dermatologist may recommend products containing benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid to unblock your pores and eliminate small blemishes.
- For moderate to severe cases of acne, your dermatologist may recommend several treatments which can include:
- Oral and topical antibiotics to clear up any underlying bacterial infection causing or contributing to your acne
- Tretinoin medications to clear blocked pores and get rid of blackheads and whiteheads
- Extraction treatment to remove blackheads and whiteheads completely
Acne can also be caused by hormonal fluctuations during puberty, perimenopause, or menopause. Your dermatologist will suggest specific treatments for hormone-related acne.
If you suffer from acne breakouts, get some relief from your dermatologist. Just pick up the phone and call Dr. Matthew Zirwas and Dr. Jill Fichtel at Bexley Dermatology in Bexley, Ohio. Get rid of your acne by calling today!
Acne--those embarrassing red pimples on the face, back, shoulders and chest--plagues more people than you may think. Not just a teenage problem, acne outbreaks affect women and men into their twenties, thirties, forties and even fifties, says research in the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. But, don't fret, there's hope with acne treatment from Dr. Matthew Zirwaz and Dr. Jill Fichtel at Bexley Dermatology.
Just what is acne?
Besides being unsightly, this common skin condition seems to have autoimmune, hereditary and hormonal components. Adolescents suffer most, probably because of their hormone levels, and so do women in their child-bearing years and at menopause.
Whatever causes the outbreaks, acne shows itself as red, sore widely scattered comedones--in other words, whiteheads and blackheads. The pimples form, and sometimes becomes infected or cystic, when oil glands clog up with sebum, or oil. The oilier your skin is, the greater is your tendency to suffer from acne.
How to treat acne in Bexley
While acne cannot be cured per say, you can manage it successfully, and your skin team at Bexley Dermatology can help with a care plan tailored to your skin, your lesions and your life. A comprehensive, in-office examination, combined with a detailed discussion of your symptoms, helps Dr. Zirwaz or Dr. Fichtel determine right acne treatment in Bexley.
Common medical interventions include:
- In-office extraction of stubborn lesions
- Tretinoin (Vitamin A preparation)
- Birth control pills to control hormonal surges
- Salicylic acid
- Topical antibiotics for infected areas
- Over-the-counter benzoyl peroxide creams and cleansers
At home, your skin doctor will encourage you to eat a healthy diet, avoiding greasy and fatty foods. Also, you should eliminate tanning, and daily wash your face and other areas affected by acne. Key to avoiding infection and irritation is gentle washing, particularly after gym workouts.
Also, your skin doctor warns against picking at or squeezing acne blemishes. This only causes more redness and soreness and introduces additional bacteria to the areas.
Your emotional health
Acne can be exceptionally trying emotionally. The team at Bexley Dermatology asks you to be patient with your acne treatment plan. You can manage your breakouts and avoid the scarring and embarrassment common to acne, psoriasis, rosacea and other stubborn skin issues. When you start a plan, stick with it, and you'll start to notice good results in six to eight weeks.
Acne does not have to rule your life. Manage it with expert help from Bexley Dermatology. To arrange your personal consultation with our professional staff, call the office at (614) 947-1716.
Don’t let acne ruin your skin. Discover the many options you have for managing your symptoms.
While we often associate acne with our teenage years, it doesn’t mean that as adults we are immune to acne. In fact, many adults find that they still experience breakouts rather regularly. Tackling your acne shouldn’t be a frustrating undertaking, which is why it’s a good idea to turn to Bexley Dermatology, your Bexley, OH dermatologist you can trust to help.
There are different approaches you can take to tackle your acne symptoms. Acne forms under the skin, so just removing the oils from the surface of your skin won’t do much to prevent breakouts. Ways to reduce or eliminate your acne include:
A Proper Skincare Regimen
Acne doesn’t appear because you aren’t cleaning your skin enough. In fact, washing too much or too vigorously can actually make acne worse or lead to more breakouts. If you are prone to acne, look for gentle or acne-specific cleansers. Acne cleansers can dry out the skin so it’s always a good idea to exfoliate once or twice a week to remove dead skin cells and to prevent clogged pores.
It’s also important that you read the labels on all the products you use. You wouldn’t believe how many people use makeup or sunscreen without checking to make sure that it’s oil-free. Play it safe and always look for products that say they are noncomedogenic because then they won’t actually clog pores. And if you aren’t sure what products are right for you we can help you decide.
Sometimes Medication is Necessary
In many cases, some form of medication is required in order to combat acne issues. In some cases a prescription ointment, cream or cleanser that contains acne-fighting ingredients like benzoyl peroxide or Retin-A will do the trick. It can take between four to six weeks to see results, so don’t give up on a new product when you don’t see the effects right away. Even a good thing takes time.
Besides topical medications, our Bexley, OH dermatologist may also prescribe antibiotics, oral contraceptive and even Accutane to treat your acne symptoms. Accutane is a very strong prescription medicine but it’s a great option for those suffering from severe, cystic acne.
Bexley Dermatology, your dermatologist in Bexley, OH will be able to provide you with the care you need to get your skin back on track. Whether you only face acne problems from time to time or you have serious and frequent breakouts, a skin care professional will be able to set you up with a treatment plan that works for you.